Wednesday, November 25, 2015

MANifesto.

Facial hair.  A large pickup truck.  Camouflage clothing.  Go ahead, sport it.  Doesn't mean you're a man.

On another blog I write, I talk about many subjects, some of which most people would categorize as "manly".  That's all well and good, but grilling meat, traipsing out of doors, and listening to country music doesn't automatically earn you an invitation to be in the Man Club.  That prestigious honor is only bestowed upon you if you are a good, moralistic, caring person that happens to be of the male gender.  At least that's how I see it.

Do you do all you can for your family?  In many cases, it's our job to commute to the office, factory, or field five or six days a week to earn that 100% necessary paycheck to maintain a certain lifestyle, or scratch and claw to provide food and shelter.  Other times we take a different role and commit to raising our children while our significant other earns the necessary paycheck.  This version may not be as old fashioned, but I don't find it unmanly.

Personally, I've done both.  I've worked an exhausting, honest 40 for the paycheck that helps provide food, a house, cars, and clothing.  I've served that role the majority of my life, sometimes earning decent money, sometimes barely getting by.

Currently, I'm staying at home, raising my daughter all day.  I've done that for about a year...she's 16 months old now.

This version of providing for your family, I've found, can be scoffed at.  I think that's unfortunate.

Being a father and a husband is about providing.  However you provide within your family structure at that time is what matters.  Do all you can.  Have morals.  Be good.

Then you're a man.

//.




2 comments: