Friday, July 31, 2009

The Desire to Ramble

I would make a fantastic retired person. I don't mean just jobless, I mean someone who has nice pile of money saved up and is ready to go buy an RV and travel. I hate people who say, "Oh, I've gotta work! I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't work."

Shut up.

You hear that a lot when someone wins the lottery, too. They have just won 47 million dollars and they're going to keep their job as Assistant Manager of Carl's Jr. I don't understand this type of individual.

Me, I'd travel my bag off. Retired; recent lottery winner, it doesn't matter. If I had the freedom to roam the country while, or after making a modest heap of money, I'd jump all over it.

To me, that's the way you live. By seeing as much as you can possibly see. By doing as much as you can possibly do. But to an extent, obviously. I don't want to do something just for the sake of doing it...just to put on my "living resume". There are just a lot of things that I want to do.

Example: I wouldn't go to Bangkok, Thailand. As much as I'd like to travel, I have little to no interest in going to Thailand. Sure, it would sound great when you tell all of your smart, liberal friends that you went there to experience the culture, sample the food, study the history...but that's it. And that's not worth my dollar.

Honestly, the places that appeal to me the most are places that revolve around the outdoors (preferrably rivers) or drinking. Or both!

Example: A trip to Scotland would appeal to me. Scotland has tremendous fly fishing and of course, Scotch.

Another example: New York. Not necessarily just the city, but combining a day or two to the city (to which I've never been) for site seeing, and the remainder of the trip to the Adirondacks. I would like to think that there is a good balance, a good contrast when visiting New York. It seems to me that there is one end of the spectrum (largest city in the country) and the other (largest National Park in the country).

I suppose for one or both of these things to happen, I need to start playing the lottery, or start paying attention to my 401K plan a little closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment