Friday, September 11, 2009

Don.

This was the funniest commercial that I had ever remembered seeing. Was.





Yea, it's funny as shit. And I'm pretty sure that's Burt Reynolds doing the voice over at the end--so that in itself gets points from me.

But I just saw a new commercial that beats any commercial ever produced. There's a chance you've seen it by now because apparently other folks dig it and it's circulating around cyberville.

It's a commercial for Norton Antivirus and it's entitled, "Dokken vs. Chicken".

Like Burt, Dokken also vacates a warm, cozy spot deep in my soul. You see, I'm kind of old, so I know who Dokken is. Sure, I like a couple of their ridiculously cliched 80's metal songs (see my installments of "80's Metal Video of the Week") because they're big, dumb rock...and big, dumb rock makes me grin.

But around three or four years ago when my sister Katie was my roommate, and I had just started dating my now-wife April, Katie and I would go about our cooking or housecleaning while leaving the TV on. We usually just left the music channels on, and on these music channels you can choose from a variety of genre's: Classic Country, New Country, Adult Alternative, Classic Rock, etc, etc. While the music is playing, the screen shows you pictures of the band and little tidbits about them as well.

One evening while we were "watching" said channel, a Dokken song came on. I don't remember the exact tune...probably "Alone Again" or "Into the Fire". I glanced over at the TV in hopes of catching a tidbit about Dokken. And boy, did I!

On January 27, 1988, Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley gave the 80's metal band, Dokken, the key to the city and pronounced it "Dokken Day".

Katie and I thought that to be spectacular. So we immediately arranged a party for January 27, complete with kegs, 80's metal music, and....that's about it. Unfortunately, for some reason there was no dressing up in 80's metal garb. That was for Kev's 80's Roller Derby Birthday.

At any rate, it was a fantastic celebration. April traveled from Kansas City to be with us, and my good buddy Vinnie made the trip from St. Louis. There were kayaks, stolen church signs that read "Hamfest Parking" and plenty of 80's metal to be had.

Now I live in Colorado. Most of friends live hundreds of miles away. But, with the help of my Dokken Day cohorts, I am confident that Dokken Day will live on in 2010. There will be costumes, kegs of beer, perhaps a stolen sign or two, and most definitely 80's metal featuring Don Dokken and his three brethren.

In my head, the party has already began.

Please enjoy this commercial. It's the funniest commercial this earth has ever seen. Sorry Nannerpuss.




I will be buying anything and everything Norton Antivirus ever makes.

Please have a Happy Dokken Day, my friends.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment