Sunday, March 7, 2010

Vague Ramblings on Happiness.

I'm happy as shit. I've got a lot of things to be thankful for, and I do not take any of them for granted.

But I'm ready to take happiness to the next level. There are certain things in my life that do not make me happy, and I am currently striving to take those out of my life and replace them with more things that make me happy. Selfish? I don't know, maybe. I really don't care. If I can incorporate all the things in this world that make me happy, then why not give it a shot?

The things that I'm not completely satisfied with are simple. They are things that we, as a society, generally put up with because they're "just part of life". I completely understand that. But wouldn't it be relatively awesome to just eliminate those things altogether so you don't have to worry about them anymore?

Obviously, working at a job that does not make you feel alive inside is one of them. Now, I've got a cool job...for the most part. Compared to other jobs I've had and jobs that some of my peers have, it's really not bad. But in all honesty, I put up with it because it's "just part of life". Well, the way I see it, my job takes up over 2/3s of my time on this planet. I've done the math. That's not including getting ready for work, commuting back and forth, any overtime, time worrying about work, time medicating because of work, and so on. So basically any of my free time is spent trying to avoid work and doing things to take my mind off of work.

"Jeez, get another job." you might say. I've had other jobs...about 70 or so other jobs. They are all the same, to me at least. I am essentially forfeiting approximately 80% of my time on this planet and dedicating it to someone else's business, so in turn they can pay me what they think I'm worth (which apparently has never been much) so I can afford to buy a house that I don't spend near enough time at (because I'm at work), gas money to get to and from work, booze to help me forget about work, and a little left over to cram some funness into my week.

I'm not bitching. Honestly. It's not my current job, or any other job I've had. It's just the mentality that I, and most everyone else that I know have. Thinking about that does not make me happy. But it motivates me.

I am currently motivated to completely flip this part of life upside down. The time that I spend working needs to be for greater reasons. Reasons that will also make me happy.

My motivation is to work towards being 100% happy, not continuing to talk myself into being 80% content. There are things that I want to happen, and they aren't just going to happen on their own. So in order to make them happen, I've got to figure out a way to make a substantial chunk of money in order to produce freedom for me and the people involved. But that means of making money has got to be very enjoyable as well...hence being happy 100% of the time.

It's not necessarily money that is motivating me to make an entrepreneurial leap, it's the happiness. Sure, I'm very happy now. We've covered that. But this leap is to take the happiness factor to the next level. I'm attempting to see just how much happiness I can cram into my life.

Just to reiterate; I am a very happy person. Could I be happier, though? Sure. So I'm going to make myself--and the people around me--even happier. Everyone I know could stand to be a little happier, so that's what is going to happen.

In order to accomplish this feat, I am going to have to travel, possibly extensively. You see, I am very close to my friends and family, but I don't live close to them. I live 775 miles away from the majority of them. "Then why don't you move back?" you might ask. Because I love the mountains and rivers of Colorado and I don't want to move away from it, that's why. So in order to split my time between Colorado and Missouri, I've got to make enough money and create enough time to allow me to travel back and forth. That, or incorporate the traveling into a career. That is precisely what I am going to do. Living and playing in Colorado makes me happy. But staying close to my friends and family also makes me happy, so I've got to do both. This is going to require money, and with any job I've ever had this is not going to be feasible. So I figure that I'll kill two birds with one stone. I'll stop working these low paying, pointless, mundane jobs that kill my soul and start paving my own path as a business owner...and with this new career path, I will be able to incorporate travel and make substantial cash--both, which will allow me to see the people that I love more.

So, right there are two things that would definitely make me happier.

Other things that I can think of might include traveling to places I've never been and experiencing things I've never experienced. Kind of like vacations. Well, I'm banking on this new endeavor to allow me to do that, too. Lots, hopefully. It'd be kind of cool to get paid for taking vacations, huh? It sure would.

So, to review: Taking out mundane, low paying job; lack of time to spend with loved ones, inability to travel and experience...and replacing it with new, exciting career path that includes travel, the outdoors, and potential to earn a fine living thus allowing me and my wife to visit out-of-town loved ones, experience new places and cultures, and ensure that the people we care about most are taken care of.

Money doesn't buy happiness? That's bullshit. But you have to first appreciate the small things and love what you have. Then I think it's fine to want to take it to the next level. There's nothing wrong with being motivated by money; as long as you are using that money to pay for plane tickets to see your family, or creating more time to spend with your wife, or making sure your kids get a great education. You've got to have the right things in sight. Not solid gold houses and rocket cars. Me, I want all the people that I dig the most to share extreme happiness with me. Like I said, everyone I know is very happy, very appreciative, and somewhat content with how the world works. But if I can provide time together, less worries, a more meaningful and enjoyable way to provide for your family, and more time to create more experiences and long lasting memories, then why not?

I might as well try.


.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to insert a quote by famed rocker and BMF hallafamer Jerry Cantrell from the movie Jerry McGuire "thats how you make it big brother, Hang your balls out there"

    ReplyDelete