Wednesday, December 16, 2009

So Far, So Good.

With all this talk lately of living and experiencing what this world has to offer, I actually took a moment today to reflect on all the experiences that I have had, good or bad, because that is what makes you who you are. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...or someshit.

All the "bad" experiences can actually be considered good, because those are just part of life. How can you experience what the world has offer if you don't encounter a little bad? You learn from it, and you also appreciate it more when the good comes along.

I've experienced heartbreak. I've lost my temper a few times - and taken it out on inanimate objects. Luckily, I haven't experienced "extreme" tragedy, but I have lost loved ones before their time, sometimes tragically. I've been punched in the face. I've been kicked in the face - after I fell down from the punch. I have been completely and utterly lost in the wilderness. I have inhaled gallons of river water and had a giant rock fall on me. I have broken bones. I have broken my nose...three times (see above punch and kick). I've been fired. I've gotten an "F". I have been arrested. I have been suspended from school. I've been in car wrecks. I have been evicted. I have committed adultery. I have visited an emergency room more times than I would like. I haven't made a lot of money. I've been dumped. I've had hemorrhoids. I've had over 60 jobs.

But, I have also...

I have loved; I have married; I currently have true love. I have an incredible relationship with my family. I have punched someone in the face. I have travelled to exotic places (Costa Rica); some not so exotic (Joplin, MO). I have made amazing friends over the years, some of which I've known for 30 years or longer. I've up and split. I have lived on the beach. I have lived in the mountains. I have lived in between. I have great stories. I have blurry memories. I've caught a lot of fish. I have played music in front of an appreciative audience until my fingers bled and my voice was hoarse. I have not yet beat my wife at chugging Irish Car Bombs on St. Patrick's Day. I have participated in some of the largest Spring Break festivities known to upright man. I have seen the Ramones, four times. I have meandered, traipsed, wandered, and especially rambled. I've been to Monster Truck Jam and the Joey Chitwood Stunt and Thrill Show. I've been diving. I've hiked across mountains. I've seen 21 Cardinals vs. Cubs games. I've met Mike Shannon. I have fished in bass tournaments. I have guided fly fishing trips. I've drank incredible Scotch, wine, and beer. I've eaten over 100 lbs of rare steak, not at once. I have thought about uncontrollable, random shit until my eyeballs ached. I've seen sharks, bears, moose, elk, and chipmunks in the wild; all with different pitched voices, but all still with Mexican accents ( I realize 'Mexican' accent is not proper, but it is funnier). I've attempted entrepreneurialism...still a work in progress. I have career-leaped. I went to college. I've gotten a raise. I have listened to, acknowledged, and appreciated incredible music. I have bought a house. I've had great dogs, including the one who is sleeping under my feet right now, Cliff, and the one probably curled up on my sister's couch, Mike. I have been a part of some fantastic man-trips...there needs to be many more. I met all four members of Stryper. I lost my virginity in an odd place. I loved Johnny Cash before he died. I saw Mark McGwire's first home run as a Cardinal (went back-to-back with Ray Langford). I saw Willie McGee's last game at Busch Stadium. I've been to the very last game at Busch II, and the first game at Busch III. I've been to Wrigley when the Cubs lost. I have had quite possibly the best meal know to man, which consisted of walleye and morel mushrooms...both caught and picked that day and fried in a cast iron skillet on top of a rusty Coleman stove. I have laughed with my friends until my side hurt. I have projectile vomited, on purpose. I know who Django Reinhardt is. My mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies in life. I've seen a shooting star. I've seen a mountain lion. I intercepted the football during the Pleasant View Blue Jays big game against the Cherokee Indians in 1988. I've hit home runs in little league. I can do a backwards dive. My cholesterol is okay...considering. I've breakdanced on un-airbrushed cardboard. I've slept under the stars.

My life has been full of good things. Like I said, even the bad are good.

On the list...

The Testy Festy (fried cow testicle festival). Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, Adirondacks. Europe. To meet Tom Selleck (I think I'd get along with him better than Burt Reynolds nowadays). Kiddo(s). Alaska. To write a book of random crap. Montana and Idaho. Rocklahoma. Kayak with orcas. To pay my folks back for bail money, college, moving back in six times, etc. To own my own business. Backpack New Zealand and Australia. Fly fish South America. To grow old with my wife.

This list wasn't written out of any sort of ego-trip. It was just something that I needed to do to make myself appreciate what I have and what I've done. Those who have helped out along the way - thanks.

Life's pretty cool, kids. Don't fuck it up.



.

1 comment:

  1. if more people were as ambitious and appreciative as you are, the world would be such a more pleasant place, more often. it's refreshing to know that some people are really trying to live in the moments, and not just merely exist day after mundane day. you are like my literary hero! :) have you ever read "letters to my son" by kent nerburn? i highly recommend it. keep on with yo bad self
    -luke's little asian keeper

    ReplyDelete