Friday, June 10, 2011

"Backstage at the CMAs, Dick in a Box!"

Yes, it's back to reality. After three days in Nashville being pampered like a celebrity, it's back to the grind.

In case you didn't get one of mine or April's updates, we won a free trip to the CMT Awards in Nashville. I know, I know--The CMTs suck! That is correct--but only if you watch them on TV. If you win a free trip to see them live and are a VIP at the pre and post parties, then it most certainly does not suck. It's not anything that I would ever spend my own money on, so it was a fantastic experience that will most likely never, ever happen again.

I thought tons about music, culture, and heritage while I visited Nashville. It was my first time there, and I wasn't sure what to expect. Is it going to be like Branson? I loathe Branson. Is it more like Vegas? I hope not. So I kept an open mind and just approached it like a dog with his head out the window. I tried to bury all of those preconceived notions, all of those prejudgements.

I witnessed a cornucopia of people, from your fat, old, touristy, RV folk with their white socks and shoes and freshly purchased hats from the corner gift shop...to punks with Mohawks, wallet chains and tattoos on their hands and necks. That type of diversity generally isn't found in Branson. I listened to different styles of Country music. Sure, there was your Rascal Flatts, Toby Keith, and the like. But we also heard musicians still playing the bars for tips alone, vying for someone to discover them. Some, embarrassingly talentless...others so good it was almost sad that they weren't headlining the CMTs. These were the acts that filtered across downtown Nashville during Country Music Appreciation Week. So that, along with the CMTs and Bonnaroo Music Fest being held on the same week in Tennessee, provided a pretty cool vibe in the air.

The CMTs are basically an MTV'd version of Pop-Country music, accessorized with pseudo-stars that in one way or another have something to do with the Pop-Country scene. Pop-Country to me is defined by overly produced, catchy tunes concentrating on a lead vocalist. This person is generally surrounded by studio musicians who would much rather express their talents on another stage, but are able to wipe away their tears at night with dollar bills.

Pop-Country covers quite a few bases, as far as listeners go. For people that like to party in a Nickleback sort of way, you've got your Jason Aldean--who is quite possibly the love child of Montgomery and Gentry. He's in your face and enjoys rapping Country-style. Chicks seem to really dig him for the most part.

True Americans prefer the vocal stylings of Toby Keith, mainly because he loves America and likes singing about it. Don't tread on Toby, because he's also a bit of an outlaw and might throw down with you. From what I hear, his chain of restaurants serves a horrible cheeseburger. Jimmy Buffet would be disappointed.

And of course there's Rascal Flatts. Two guys who act like they're playing guitars on either side of the main Rascal, who does in fact resemble an ugly, flightless bird.

I can make fun. But the thing is, there actually is a talent factor there for all of them. Shit, they wouldn't be on stage if they weren't talented. I may not like their voices or their lyrics or their music, or Justin Bieber...but someone does--lots of someones. The music is fine-tuned and mistake-free. The vocals are typically the same. Maybe twangy, maybe too rehearsed--but ultimately very talented. And it's not just music, it's entertainment. And they do entertain. I caught myself starting to roll my eyes during some of the performances and had to remind myself, "Just go with it. It's fun.".

When someone asks me if I like Country music, I normally give some sort of reply about liking some Country..."real" Country. You know, Willie, Johnny, Hank. Real artists with real talent.

But if you think that record producers and the "industry" didn't get a hold of any of these guys, then you're wrong. Jesus, just look at Elvis. Although these "true" artists have more or less blazed trails in Country music, they have had their fair share of over-production and pop tendencies. Listen to the "Highwaymen" albums. It's the Country super-group of Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, and Johnny Cash recorded in the mid-eighties and early-nineties. My opinion: Horrendous. The idea is beautiful, but the end product is a disappointment, to say the least.

So, although Nashville is Pop-Country Central, there is at least some solice in knowing that it pretty much always has been. These faces on CMT that we see today are essentially the same faces we saw on The Johnny Cash Show and Hee Haw. The music may have been a little different then, but the fact that they're doing what their doing to make themselves and their producers money remains the same.

Toby Keith and Hank Williams are different. But they're kind of the same, too...as much as it pains me to say it. It's all music, it's all entertainment, it's all art...of different degrees to different audiences.

The heritage, the culture, and the purity of Country music is what makes it such a broad medium. Don't like Branson? Go to Nashville. Don't like Nashville? Go to Austin.

It's like that with every genre. Rock? Well, is it Classic, Alternative, Roots, Rockabilly, Heavy Metal, Thrash, Electronica, Americana, Punk, Progressive, Golden Oldies, or Pop? Same thing.

So when the next person asks me if I like Country music, I'll answer, "Yea, some." And then go into my Willie, Hank, & Johnny bit.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment