Thursday, August 6, 2009

Silver Lining, Light at the End, Look on the Bright Side, blah blah blah.

You know what? I talked to a buddy of mine tonight who just isn't haven't very good luck. I mean, the dude does everything he's supposed to do, and life just seems to take a shit on him every other day.

He's a devout Christian, plays life by the rules, and is one of the best guys I know. But it seems like shit is always happening to him. He's getting laid off, totally his car (sooo not his fault), getting screwed on student loans, family illnesses and deaths, etc, etc, etc. This has been going on for as long as I've known him. (dude, sorry if by chance you're reading this...it gets better though!)

As much as life is taking a dump on my buddy, he continues to do his thing. He still goes to church, still fixes whatever went wrong, and after a much needed venting session to me (which I am totally happy to oblige!) starts weeding out the bad and looking for the good. This guy's a character...and that's why we're still friends. Because I know of no one else who could be so scoured with terrible luck and continue to dig for the positive. Me? I would've drank myself into a liver-less way of living by now. But this dude keeps on chugging.

And then I start thinking.

I'm not a religious man. Spiritual? Quite. But my buddy's faith and his mindset keep him focused on the good. Sure, he gets pissed and down and discouraged. Everyone does. But he's the classic example of picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. Cliche' but true.

I continue to be amazed by the tenacity of this guy. He is hellbent to graduate college at 40 something, and as he puts it, "live like a grown up." And he still has a couple years to go.

Back to the religion part of my ramble. Dangerous territory, I know. I understand faith. I have faith. In what? That's a different ramble. But this guy's faith has essentially kept him going. Anyone...even a religious sort, could easily get discouraged by constant terrible luck and start to lose faith, ambition, and will. And I'm sure it chips away at him from time to time. But to keep after it, day in and day out, is very admirable to me. His faith and confidence in a higher being has given him more ambition and will than most anyone else that I know. And that's enlightening.

The cool thing is, things are going to turn around for him. He's going to fight through the adversity and win. Whether you believe in God, karma, or both, you just gotta keep on trucking.

Hmm, I like that. I might have that printed on a shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment