Monday, August 31, 2009

80's Video for the Week

Sorry, sorry, sorry!

I know, I've been slacking. Depriving my dedicated followers of their 80's Metal dosage. Well, I've got one for you.

But first, please allow me to ramble.

In one or two prior posts, I've talked about music. I've spoken of The Stones, Faces, Ramones, and so on. I am an enormous fan of classic jazz, rock and roll, country and western, and bluegrass. I consider myself well rounded enough to talk Stooges with any punk out there, but also feel the earthy vibe of the Allmans. I realize that Johnny's are, for the most part, tremendous...as in Cash, Ramone, Thunders, Rotten, Paycheck, etc.

But when it comes to artists like the one I'm about to show you, I am torn.

Whitesnake is a ridiculous band name. When you see videos or pictures of them, or God forbid, see them in concert, you will laugh. On paper, they are your garden-variety hair metal band. And we all know that you cannot take a hair metal band seriously. When conversations arise of great, classic bands, Whitesnake is normally not mentioned. At least I don't mention them. Mainly because they are not a great, classic band...at least not in the same ranks as Zeppelin or The Kinks. And when I engage in conversations about music, music history, music genre's, and music artists, I tend to stray away from anything remotely 80's metal...with the exception of a Van Halen or an AC/DC remark.

But you know what? I like Whitesnake.

(Wow, what a fantastic t-shirt that would make...)

Sure, there's a good chance I like them because they're a Led Zeppelin clone. But still, I think they've got some catchy tunes. They never journeyed into different concepts and genre's like Zeppelin...they pretty much just stuck to basic rock and roll. They would actually fit into a category that I lovingly call, Big Dumb Rock. It's not small, and it's not smart. But it is rock, and I like it (no Stones quoting intended).

Now, why do I like Whitesnake? Good question. Maybe because it reminds me of drinking my face off in high school and making out with chicks in jean jackets. Or maybe because when I was in grade school, I used to rock out to Whitesnake in front of the mirror while playing a tennis racket. Or maybe because when I'm flipping through radio stations and catch a random Whitesnake tune playing in the midst of all the Boston, Styx, Jethro Tull classic rock-crap it makes me happy. It's fun. That's why I like it.

That's what music is missing more times than not. Fun. Every artist is so fucking serious...old or new. Hell, even Led Zeppelin was so serious. Not many happy-go-lucky songs from them. Don't get me wrong, I like serious. But I also like not serious.

And you know what? "Still of the Night" by Whitesnake is not serious. At least I hope it wasn't intended to be. I realize that the band did not set out to mock anything or make fun of themselves. They also didn't intend on tackling any world issues or branching out artistically. They intended to rock. That's it. And they did.

The video showcases Tawny Kitaen being hot, but crazy. It also just might hold the record for the most pelvic thrusts ever to appear in a single video. Spandex, leather, a fog machine, some licked fingers, and a copy-cat Jimmy Page interlude complete with violin bow-electric guitar playing. Genius.

Please watch this video, because it's fun.

Rock on, my friends.





Whitesnake - Still Of The Night
Uploaded by jpdc11. - See the latest featured music videos.

1 comment:

  1. I am a little late catching up on Earl's Brain, but I'm glad I did. Like you, I like Whitesnake. Of the whole conglomeration known as GreatWhiteLionSnake, they stand alone as the one band that really rocks. Even though it is quite formulaic, Tawny Kitaen + car + David Coverdale screaming= rock 'n roll and I'm buying it. I don't care that Kitaen is on the wrong side of Margot Kidder on the crazy-o-meter, I'm fixated on her harsh beauty.

    Additional note: While watching it, I tried to mimic Coverdale's arched-back silhouette and just fractured 3 vertabrae. Damn you, D.C.

    ReplyDelete