Monday, August 17, 2009

that guy.

While I was driving home yesterday I passed a guy in a huge, Dodge pickup with a giant Harley Davidson sticker on the back window. The gentleman driving had tattoos of flames, barbed wire, and assorted tribal mumbo jumbo on his driving arm (def: arm that you hang out the window while driving. always the left, unless you're in England.). He sported one of those mustaches that droops down your face...a Fu Man Chu or handlebar or something. To complete the ensemble, he chose wrap-around sunglasses and a sleeveless shirt.

Now, I've got no beef with this guy. Not my style, but obviously his...and that's cool.

It got me to thinking though.

This fellow is trying extremely hard to be "Biker Guy". Which is still fine by me. But he is relying on one particular subculture to create his entire identity.

I hate to judge, but I'm sure he watches all those "Garage" and "Chopper" shows on cable television to get the look and lingo down. Sure, he probably has a motorcycle...at least he'd better. If he doesn't, then he is what we call a poser.

I understand the desire to embrace a particular hobby or hang out with a particular group of people. It's about sharing a common interest with like-minded people. But it shouldn't take over your entire identity. This guy clearly wants to be "Biker Guy". He wants everyone to know without a doubt that he likes motorcycles. He hasn't always been "Biker Guy", so before this transformation, he thought to himself, "Now, what does a biker look like? What would a biker drive when not driving his motorcycle? How does a biker act, talk, and spend time when not with his motorcycle?"

Yes, I understand that all of this is prejudging. But someone that looks like they are dressed as a "Biker" for Halloween is wanting to be judged. They want people to think that they know all the specifications and performance ratings of every Harley Davidson motorcycle ever manufactured. They want us to think that they frequent strip clubs, roadhouses, and truck stops. They want everyone to think that they will punch you if you look at them or their motorcycle the wrong way.

Maybe these accusations are true. Maybe they're not. But this guy is relying solely on one specific subculture to advertise his identity. I understand wanting to express yourself and create your own identity and your own style. Hell, everyone does it. And I understand taking certain aspects of a subculture to incorporate them into your individual style. But what I don't understand is taking an entire style of a particular subculture and "transforming" yourself into that guy.

I'm outdoorsy. I like to do things outdoors and I work in the outdoor industry, therefore it's easy for me to talk to people that also enjoy and/or work in the outdoors. I like the clothes, plus I get pretty good deals on them, so I dress kind of outdoorsy. But I've seen people take the outdoorsy subculture and let it completely take over who they are.

I'm assuming that is what happened to "Biker Guy". He either let the biker subculture take him over, or he is a complete poser. I've seen that in the outdoor industry too. Some kid buys all the outdoor clothing, the highest end backpack, a $3000 mountain bike, and has never used any of it. It's one thing if you plan on learning the sport and the time just happened to be right to purchase the gear...it's another if you just buy it to be "Outdoorsy Guy".

But I suppose if "Biker Guy" can back it up, more power to him. What if he knows everything there is to know about motorcycles? What if he knows every stripper in Denver, and they love him because of his manly tribal tattoos and wrap-around sunglasses? What if he beats someone up everyday for looking at his giant sticker in the rear glass of his truck? Well then, who am I to judge?

It makes me think of a girl I used to know. She was a climber. She wore nothing but climbing clothes, talked about nothing but rock climbing, had dreadlocks, carried her chalk bag everywhere, and didn't like you unless you rock climbed. She scoffed at paddlers, hikers, and mountain bikers...unless they were paddling, hiking or mountain biking to some rocks to go climbing. And as ridiculous as this girl was, people didn't give her much shit because she was a fantastic climber. She could walk the walk.

But in my opinion, that's still letting a subculture take over your identity. It's not being well rounded, versatile, or open minded. You're becoming obsessed with a hobby and letting it determine who you are.

I knew this girl, and she was "Climber Chick". That's exactly what she wanted people to think. She embraced everything that was rock climbing and formed her identity around that. Truthfully, I can't even remember her name. All I remember her as is "Climber Chick". Kinda sad.

I guess people just feel like they have to have a label. But even if "Biker Guy" or "Climber Girl" achieve this self-proclaimed status, it just exposes the fact that they are a one dimensional person, probably without much confidence, personality, or originality.

But if you want to be that guy, that's cool...I got no beef with you.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment